Sunday, September 26, 2010

I've Never Depended On the Kindness of Strangers

     My brash and bold individualism is something I've always prided myself on. No quarter requested, no quarter given, that sort of thing. The mother of an old friend said she immediately knew I was quite a character after one incident when I was seven. During an afternoon playdate, she asked if I'd like to stay for supper. My response? "Oh no, I couldn't impose!" Rather precocious for a second grader, wouldn't you say? So after a lifetime of this sort of attitude, it's come as quite a surprise to me the ease at which I've come to accept the hospitality and graciousness of people I've never even met before.

Sort of how I picture myself, except without even Tonto, or Silver.
     Why, just yesterday we met a lovely waitress at a Chili's in Carlsbad, New Mexico who was all too eager to provide us with a small measure of succor in our quest across the country. Upon delivering our drinks to the table, she noticed we were poring over an atlas, planning our next stop. After asking us where we were headed, she was quite impressed at the scope of our journey. Once the meal was finished, our stomachs full and contented, she brought over, unbidden, a care package of sorts. "OK boys, I've brought you a full bag of chips and a container of salsa, you don't have to worry about refrigerating them, and there's plenty there. Can I get you some drinks in to-go cups?" We've been out and about for well over a month now, and we know better than to turn down such a generous (and free!) offer.

Breakfast of champions...
     Even if people aren't throwing free starters at us, they're often intrigued and fascinated when we tell them what we're doing. Folks are always ready to talk our ears off about their hometown, whatever place it is we're visiting. Screw Google when it comes to finding out the best kept secrets of a city. Just ask any random person, and they'll provide you with a two-hour dissertation on where the best burgers are, or which bar makes the most delicious margaritas. I'm not sure if this is so much generosity aimed toward strangers as it is them loving to have something to talk about which they're extremely knowledgeable, but either way, it's quite nice.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
     There is perhaps no greater example of the hospitality we've encountered than the Jablonskis of Missoula, Montana. Connected to JZ by the most tenuous of threads, they opened their home to us, and graciously prepared a home-cooked meal for a couple of weary travelers. It was a situation where someone knew someone who knew someone who lived out there, and they had some land. We thought at most, we might be able to camp for free on someone's spread. No no no. Instead we were welcomed like kings! A guest room had been set up for us, and would we enjoy fresh salmon for supper? After eating, Their daughter and her boyfriend took us out for a night on the town, showing us all the local hotspots, and everyone having a lot of laughs and getting a little tipsy. Kindness like that can never really be fully repaid, and our appreciation for that time still has not waned 4 weeks later.




     After all the wonderful things people have done for us as we've made our way across this country, there is perhaps nothing we can do but "pay it forward." It would indeed be logistically impossible for us to do something nice for all the people that have gone out of their way to help us, many of whose (who's? whom's?) names we never even learned. So I begin paying it forward here and now, today. This blog entry you're reading? It's on me. No charge, no obligation. Consider it my treat and my gift to you...



No comments:

Post a Comment