Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Lifetime of Lents

     There's a bit of a milestone coming up the day after tomorrow: 40 days on the road! It's the longest I've been away from home, and a hell of a long time to be on a road trip. I've had to sacrifice a few things, and it has reminded me of Lent. I'm not religious whatsoever, but I think I've fulfilled many Lents' worth of going without. Let's take a look:

     40 days without pork roll.
     40 days without video games (this feels, sadly, like a much greater sacrifice than it actually is).
     40 days without real pizza.
     40 days without using a jughandle to make a left turn (OK, I don't miss this at all).
     40 days without the comfort of my foam bed.
     40 days without bagels.
     40 days without a solitary sleeping arrangement (although with the amount of tent farts I've produced, this may be more of a sacrifice for JZ than me).
     40 days without Buck and Spanky!
     40 days without the repose of pooping on my own toilet.
     40 days without a stroll in my favorite park, Double Trouble.
     40 days without the touch of a woman (ah, who am I kidding? That would probably be the case whether I was on vacation or not).
     40 days without Wawa (it hurts to even type this!).
     40 days without any income whatsoever (It's amazing and disheartening to watch your bank account tick down without even a minimal deposit to bolster it a bit).
     40 days without video games (did I mention that already? Good, it serves to illustrate how painful it is).
     40 days without canoeing or kayaking.
     40 days without a fully proper shower (I'm very specific about my temperature and water pressure, my home shower is the only one I really like).

      Of course, the thing that hits the hardest is 40 days without my friends and family. There's so much I miss from you all, I couldn't list everything. From Mom's cooking, to Torey's hearty laugh. From crikshitting (don't ask) with Bender, to chats with Pat. From beers in the backyard with Dad, to Scrabble with Grandma. These things and so many more call to me, and make me smile at the thought of homecoming. Don't mist up with sentimentality yet though, Reader. This homecoming of which I speak is fast approaching! I estimate that in less than two weeks, this smiling face will be back in Jersey and eager to reunite with YOU! Of course, I expect the requisite amount of fanfare and ticker tape upon my return, so start shredding your confetti now!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment