Thursday, August 19, 2010

R.I.P. Rambler's Digest, 8/16/2010 - 8/19/2010

     Alas, poor Rambler's Digest, I knew it well. Poor bastard didn't even survive to the beginning of the road trip it was created to chronicle. Turns out my "original" title wasn't that original after all. When I initially came up with the name for this blog, I thought it was mildly clever and sort of catchy. Turns out it was, but somebody else had thought of it already. My extensive research into seeing if this name was indeed unused primarily consisted of Googling "Rambler's Digest," and seeing what came out the Google poop-chute. According to the search results, those two words were not paired sequentially anywhere on the internet. Success! Satisfied with the amount of work I put into making sure I was original, I rested on my laurels and proceeded to blog away.

I guess these would be comfortable to rest on...
     A few days later, and my powerful brain made the cognitive leap to try typing in "ramblersdigest.com." I thought, "Hey, maybe I'll buy the domain, make this all professional and shit." Nope. Clever as I was, someone was even cleverer...er. Naturally, it was a blog, about somebody's travels. A blog more attractive than mine, about more exotic places, and with it's own logo, for Pete's sake! I was crushed. Back to the drawing board, I suppose. I was stymied, though. "Roamer's Digest," maybe? Or "Rover's Digest"? No, that sounds like it would belong to a dog, which wouldn't be about much more than eating, shitting, and trying to lick himself (hey, maybe that would fit this blog...). I threw out those ideas. No more ripping off "Reader's Digest." There's got to be something else I can rip off for a clever name. Well, I'm going to be traveling across America...and I'm Frank, so... "Frank, America... America, Frank..." Hmmm... And then, from across the span of history, an obscure TV show called out to me. Love, American Style. It was a romantic-comedy anthology show that aired on ABC's 1970's equivalent of T.G.I.F. I've never even seen it, but it always stuck in my brain because I have great respect for TV shows with punctuation in the title.

Wait, where's the comma?
     So don't mourn my Rambler's Digest too much. I've got a new name, and this blog is going to be stronger, faster, wiser, and more sexually appealing than it's previous iteration. Plus!!!! I now own the domain frankamericanstyle.com, so I feel like I've finally "arrived." Join me here at our new home for all new adventures, Fridays at 8pm, only on ABC!

1 comment:

  1. Click on that link, and you get a big, stupid, "nothing here" screen. Bear with me as I try to link the blog to the site, a service touted as, "easy, simple, and fun!" No, not all.

    ReplyDelete